Casseroles are wonderful things, one-pot-wonders which can feed an army of hungry stomachs a complete meal out of one pot. While there are as many variations of the Chicken Casserole as there are American women cooking them, this one has become my all-time favorite…it’s simplicity is simply unmatched!
This is my old, faithful standby! Anytime we’ve had one of “those” days and the last think I want to do is think about dinner, let alone have to wash up the kitchen afterwards, this is where I turn.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
Prep Time: 10 min / Cook Time: 50 min
(original recipe came from www.campbellskitchen.com but I found it to be too bland; I’ve added spices, veggies, and doubled the rice and liquid)
- In the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish mix 2 cans cream of anything soup (mushroom or celery work best) and 2.5 cups water
- Stir in 1.5 cups uncooked regular rice (not instant), 1 small bag of frozen mixed veggies (I prefer to use half the bag and then add in a can of sweet corn), 3/4 tsp salt, and pepper, dried onion, celery salt, garlic powder to taste.
- Top with 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I recomend sprinkling chicken with seasoning first else it will be pretty bland…chicken seasoning, salad dressing, or your favorite spice blend)
- Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Uncover and sprinkle liberally with grated cheese (cheddar or colby-jack work well); return to hot oven and bake uncovered for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.